Sunday, April 29, 2012

Arizona book ban and librotraficantes

The Arizona legislature has passed a bill ( House bill 2281) which outlaws ethnic studies programs that "promote resentment toward a race or class of people" "advocate ethnic solidarity instead of...pupils as individuals" "are designed for pupils of a particular ethnic group" or "promote the overthrow of the United States government". Tucson schools then shut down a K-12 Mexican American Studies program, banned a number of books by Mexican American and Native American authors, and came into the schools to seize over 80 titles from school libraries and students. (the former superintendant of state schools, Tom Horne, is now the state's attorney general behind the banning) Students immediately began protesting, and a new breed of smugglers, librotraficantes, has arisen to help supply the banned books to students. Calling themselves "librotraficantes", a group of book smugglers filled a bus with over 1000 banned books (now known as "wet-books")and headed for Tucson, stopping along the way for a reading by banned author Sandra Cisneros (The House on Mango Street) and a visit with banned author Rudolfo Anaya(Bless Me, Ultima). Now the librotraficantes are planning to set up underground libraries featuring work by Mexican American and Native American authors, called the rooms "Read Easies" after the speak-easies of the past. You can read the librotraficante manifesto and news of future plans, read a list of the banned books, and make a donation, here One of the books seized in Tucson was ReThinking Columbes: The Next Five Hundred Years, a book that includes work by Native American authors including Mohawk poet/storyteller Peter Blue Cloud. We published Peter's book of coyote poems Back Then Tomorrow in 1979 from our own Blackberry Books. It has been out of print for over a decade, but on hearing this news we have brought it back into print, and sent copies to Tucson. Viva Librotraficantes!

5 Comments:

Blogger Ronna Lambiasi DeLoe: www.ronnalambiasideloe.com said...

Sounds like Ray Bradbury knew what he was talking about. This is disgraceful, and hopefully the Legislature will reconsider. Note the agenda of the superintendent of schools before he became A.G. If we cannot read what we desire, the basic freedom of speech derived from the Constitution will have been eroded. It is my hope that these lawmakers come to their senses, sooner rather than later.

Ronna L. DeLoe, Esq. (living in Maine, licensed in NY)

9:46 PM  
Blogger Lexine said...

The entire nation needs to respond to this encroachment on our most basic of freedoms. We, along with the people of Arizona, are all at risk.

There is an excellent article in a recent issue of The Progressive, with responses from some of the authors involved.

Lexine Mainwaring

10:37 AM  
Blogger Erickson said...

I will always advice, that when you want to trade, you should seek the assistance of a well trained personnel. I've been trading with Richard Smith and it would be selfish of me, if i don't recommend them. With their well guarded signals and forever active(master class) strategies i have been able to make over 11,200usd weekly, he offers services to both experience and inexperience trader and also make recovery of lost funds So feel free reach out to him on email: richardsmith2488@gmail.com
WhatsApp: +1 225-277-1646

6:10 PM  
Blogger Samuel said...

My name is Samuel, I was in love with my wife and we were married for eight years with a son his is Liam,I loved my wife so much she had access to all my bank account and even my cash app which my accountant agreed to and said it was a great idea, then it took my wife and my accountant two month to get hold of all my properties,all accounts but I had a cash app which they knew nothing about,I was thrown out of my own house was sleeping in a hotel for weeks she also took possession of my son could only see him once a week then I found out she was in love with my accountant all these while so I went online and I came across a Russian private investigator who help me get all my properties and my accounts back even my company back how he did these I don’t know but I gave all the information he asked for and followed all his instructions and now I’m happy my life’s better now.
Thanks to premiumhackservices@gmail.com
I just said I should share my own story here
Thank you

12:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

HOW I GOT MY DESIRED XMAS LOAN AMOUNT $520,000.00 FROM A RELIABLE AND TRUSTED LOAN COMPANY LAST WEEK. Email for immediate response: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

Hello everyone, Am here to testify of how i got my loan from BENJAMIN LOAN FINANCE(drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com) I don't know if you are in need of an urgent loan to pay bills, start business or build a house, they offer all kinds of loan. So feel free to contact Dr.Benjamin Scarlet Owen he holds all of the information about how to obtain money quickly and painlessly via Email: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

and consider all your financial problems tackled and solved. Share this to help a soul right now. THANKS

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home