Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Bill Berkson poetry reading




Poet/author/art critic Bill Berkson will give a poetry reading on Monday, October 19, 4 PM at Gulf of of Maine Books. He will be in Maine reading from his new collection:Portrait and Dream - new and selected poems (Coffee House Press), appearing at Bates, Colby and UMO.Other Bill Berkson titles in stock here include: Hymns of St. Bridget & other writings - a collaborative poetry collection by Bill Berkson and Frank O'Hara, with a cover by Alex Katz,What's your idea of a good time? = a book of interviews questions and answers between Bill Berkson and Bernadette Mayer,The Sweet Singer of Modernism and other art writings 1985-2003, and Sudden Address - selected lectures 1981-2006 (with a philip guston cover) which includes a lecture given at the Skowhegan School of Art and Sculpture. Here is a poem by Bill Berkson from that talk:

A Lady At Her Writing Table

I chose love and friendship over
work, then
work and friendship over
suspended disbelief
- won't love conquer all?
I'll never work again.
Don't call me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Village Books said...

Bill was my most important mentor during my time at the SF Art Institute back in the day. I'm so excited that he's in Maine & that I'll get to see him again!

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home